San Sebastian aspires to become a modern, efficient and sustainable smart city thanks to technology. In this sense, one of the first measures has been to implement an urban air quality sensor network. In this way, it is possible to complement the existing fixed stations and expand the measuring points and the capacity to collect information.
This action, entrusted to Kunak, is part of SmartKalea. This project aims to improve the quality of life and generate new business opportunities through Information and Communication Technologies (ICT).
The integration of this urban air quality sensor network and the sending of the data collected is done through Rest API to the SmartKalea platform. This tool allows, for example, the analysis of different monitoring indicators, facilitating also the management of the different subsystems object of the project.
- To achieve greater energy and economic savings in three main areas: shops, housing and city infrastructure, while maintaining its commitment to the environment.
- Encourage citizen participation and raise awareness among citizens and businesses about energy saving and sustainability.
- Generate new business opportunities for businesses, local companies and technology partners.
Kunak supplied two Kunak AIR units with GPRS communications for measuring air quality and meteorological parameters in locations within the scope of the SmartKalea project to find out the incidence of traffic and nearby industries on the quality of the air at these points.
In addition, these registered data will be sent to the smart platform of Fomento de San Sebastián – Donostiako Sustapena.
Equipment measurement parameters: CO, H2S, NO2, SO2, O3, PM1, PM2.5, PM10, temperature, relative humidity and atmospheric pressure.
Carried out actions:
- Deployment of a sensor network with built-in wireless communications.
- Development of an API for integration into the client’s server.
- System of failure warnings and high concentration alerts.
- Data analysis for the implementation of improvement plans.
We developed an urban air quality sensor network with the following functionalities:
- Knowing the incidence of traffic and nearby industries on air quality.
- Increase knowledge about possible emission sources and their impact.
- Expand information on pollutants with more measurement points (complementing data from reference stations).
- Monitoring air quality in the area of SmartKalea.
- Detection of episodes of increased pollution.
- Remote management and calibration of equipment.
- Development of a tool for advanced statistical analysis.