As you may know or notice, all sensors for the same pollutant do not work equally, and we can find some variabilities among them.
Thus, the first task performed in Kunak facilities is to select the sensors and discard the sensors that do not have a good response for its expected measurement range in any outdoor conditions.
A factory evaluation is carried out to ensure the good operation of each sensor.
Once the sensors are selected, their response will vary depending again on the issues found due to environmental conditions, zero and sensitivity drifting.
Kunak algorithm is able to correct these variations, characterizing the sensor according to its response to environmental conditions, and adapting the algorithm type to correct the zero and sensitivity drifts to each sensor.
However, the same type of sensors might have small variabilities, and although a specific algorithm correction is applied to each sensor type, this will carry some variability among them.
Which is the intra-model variability expected in Kunak sensors?
“Intra-model variability is related to how close the measurements from three units of the same sensor type are to each other.”
– AQSPEC Evaluation program –
During this external evaluation, Kunak AIR devices obtained a very low intra-model variability, being the lowest at gases and in the average for particles regarding the different air quality monitoring devices evaluated.
Which are the steps to assure the best accuracy of the data?
Kunak AIR systems do not require that much to get reliable and accurate data. As we say, “Large data is the goal, but accurate data is the key”.
Hence, we assure a QC&QA traceability with an exhaustive operational process:
- Sensor selection: sensors are factory assessed to ensure the good operation of each sensor. If the sensor does not pass our first QC & QA requirements, the sensor is discarded.
- Cartridge characterization: each cartridge with its individual electronics are characterized under specific environmental conditions of temperature and humidity, to adapt the Kunak algorithm to each specific sensor response.
- Cartridge calibration is carried out at the laboratory against reference standards.
- Cartridge validation at the field: a validation of the laboratory calibration against Kunak Gold standards correctly maintained with reference stations is performed to assure the Kunak data quality objectives.
- Network operation and maintenance: Kunak offers remote management and configuration of the devices. Besides, remote calibration and validation tools in our Kunak Cloud. Cartridges can be sent back individually to Kunak for a laboratory re-calibration if required.
- Cartridge replacement: once the sensor arrives at the end of its life, cartridges are replaced and returned to be re-used with a new sensor, making Kunak AIR Pro the most sustainable Air Quality sensor-based station in the market.
All these steps assure the highest accuracy and the most reliability of the data obtained by the Kunak AIR system.