- Kunak Cloud is the web-based software that allows the visualisation and analysis of air quality data collected by the monitoring networks consisting of our Kunak AIR Pro stations.
- Its operation, based on a Software as a Service (SaaS) model, is totally flexible, allowing you to choose the modules you need.
- In addition to its usefulness as a viewer, it is the tool that enables the remote management of Kunak AIR Pro air monitoring networks located in urban or industrial areas as well as in remote natural areas.
The Kunak Cloud web platform is the air quality data visualisation and analysis software that complements the comprehensive Kunak AIR Pro vertical solution. Discover its benefits in this article.
Kunak Cloud, the professional management web platform that makes Kunak AIR Pro even better
Synergies are often associated with obtaining results greater than the sum of the parts separately. To simplify the idea, it’s as if 1 plus 1 could give a result greater than 2. And that is what the Kunak Cloud web platform and the Kunak AIR Pro air quality sensor-based station do when they come together.
Kunak software together with Kunak AIR Pro is one of the most powerful environmental data processing tools on the market. Among its benefits – detailed below – are the quick and easy exploitation of air pollution data, decision-making support, and the management, maintenance and calibration of Kunak AIR Pro air quality sensor networks.
Kunak cloud’s main features and benefits
Kunak Cloud is a professional web platform to remotely manage air quality networks and noise levels. Besides, as mentioned before, this makes it possible to completely exploit the potential of the data obtained by Kunak monitoring systems and other external sources.
Its operation is based on the SaaS (Software as a Service) model. This type of service, hosted in the cloud, provides the user with all the tools needed to get the maximum performance out of the data. It also enables easy remote management of the device or network of devices. In this sense, one of Kunak Cloud’s benefits is that it can be contracted by modules, depending on the needs of each air quality monitoring project. Besides, being a web-based software, i.e. accessible through a web browser, it is continuously updated, making it possible to enjoy the improvements immediately. After all, one of Kunak’s maxims is to offer the best possible user experience and this model is one of the best performing.
Why does Kunak Cloud stand out among other solutions?
The market offers multiple tools to visualise and analyse data related to air quality. But few solutions achieve Kunak Cloud’s performance. By relying on this solution, you will benefit from:
- The reliability and safety it offers.
- Its service orientation, prioritising client needs and enabling features such as the creation of user profiles with different access levels.
- The possibilities it offers to complement and facilitate decision making.
- Its ease of installation and operation, responding perfectly on different devices (computer,smartphone, etc.)
- Data sharing options, particularly the REST API to integrate the data into other applications.
- Its scalability, a feature that makes the web platform remain responsive as new sensor-based stations (either from Kunak or other stations) are added to the network.
- Kunak’s excellent technical support.
- Our continuous improvements to better the service, such as the one we are planning to launch at the beginning of 2022, detailed in a specific section.
Moreover, when continuous, real-time air quality monitoring falls to a network of Kunak AIR Pro stations, Kunak Cloud is the key to:
- Configuring the network of equipment deployed in the field
- Monitoring equipment status and detecting possible anomalies
- Setting alarms and warnings
- Calibrating the sensors
- Validating and invalidating data
- Logging all network maintenance and configuration tasks
Three packs to exploit Kunak Cloud’s full potential
Many companies often choose packs. Basically, packs facilitate the client’s purchasing options by reducing and classifying the offer in service packs. Not surprisingly, it has been shown that an excessive offer may lead to indecision.
At Kunak, we are always looking for maximum client satisfaction. Besides, we know what the main demands of the market are. Thus, we believe that offering packs of the services provided through Kunak Cloud can be a great way to provide you with high value-added products and services that best suit your needs.
A flexible option for you to configure the service to your liking, choosing the modules you need:
- Starter pack (basic), which includes
- standard data visualisation and basic statistical calculations;
- remote configuration of Kunak stations, which are georeferenced on a map;
- alert setting;
- REST API, to integrate data in other platforms;
- export of the information to formats such as CSV, TXT, etc. and
- problem detection with automated value pre-invalidation.
- Operating pack, which includes the starter pack plus
- calibration and adjustment of zero values and high gas concentrations, also including a correction factor for particles;
- computerised maintenance management system (CMMS) to generate operating reports and a logbook,and
- automatic operating alarms that warn of possible system failures, including a diagnostics and troubleshooting tips.
- Advanced air quality analysis pack, which includes the starter pack plus the following modules:
- Air Quality Index (AQI) tool to calculate the air quality index according to European scales, those established by the EU, US EPA, Spain, India, etc.;
- data validation;
- advanced tools for air quality analysis with statistics and graphs from OpenAir, a plug-in to the well-known R statistical analysis software;
- data import from other systems, and
- automatic report generation.
New features in our cloud platform
As mentioned above, we are planning to deploy a major upgrade for our Kunak Cloud platform at the beginning of 2022. Here are some of the main new features available in the new version:
- New interface and visualisation layers (heat maps, pollution rose, particle distribution, etc.).
- Possibility to check the history of device locations.
- Possibility to generate reports in Spanish.
- Improved account creation.
- Notifications via e-mail.
- Suggestions for maintenance and troubleshooting assistance.
- Visual log to see where and how the device has been installed.
- Additional advanced statistics and graphs.
Follow us on our social media and get first-hand information about Kunak’s activities.
Kunak Cloud’s areas or fields of application
The previous sections have given a brief overview of Kunak Cloud’s main benefits.
However, it seems appropriate to also provide some examples of the activities that can be monitored using our vertical air quality measurement solution:
- In urban areas, they complement reference station networks. They extend the coverage of available instruments, help identify air and noise pollution hotspots and increase data availability. It is an essential tool for cities wishing to improve the quality of life of their citizens through innovative technologies. For example, it is recommended to control the low emission zones (LEZ) defined in many cities. Air quality measurement is also a necessity (and, depending on the city, a regulated obligation) in demolition and construction works, as pointed out in the demolition of the old Santiago Calderón football stadium.
- For industrial areas, it makes it possible to monitor industrial perimeters to detect fugitive emissions or, as in the case of wastewater treatment plants, the release of compounds that generate odour pollution. In the case of seaports and within initiatives that seek to enhance the sustainability of these infrastructures (Green Ports projects), pollution level monitoring has also acquired great relevance in order to reduce the environmental impact of port operations and preserve the welfare of port workers and the inhabitants of the area.
- In natural or outdoor areas, our stations not only ensure the well-being of visitors by monitoring, for example, levels of secondary pollutants such as ozone. Both Kunak AIR Pro and Kunak Cloud can be used to assess the environmental conditions leading to wildfires and can even serve as an early warning system.
Why do I need a cloud platform like Kunak Cloud?
The million-dollar question has been saved for the end, after having removed the wrapper from our particular candy.
If you have carefully read the article up to this point, you have probably easily come to the following conclusion: it is important to have quality data, but what good is it if you don’t have the necessary tools to analyse it and make decisions based on it?
Wireless sensor networks have the ability to generate a large volume of data that grows over time (1). And this information influences decision-making such as:
- Do I activate the high pollution level protocol?
- Should I reinforce primary care in the event of a possible increase in the number of medical consultations due to that wildfire 20 km from the city?
- What impact could these polluting agents have on architectural heritage?
The answer to these questions also depends on the information on the table. Obviously, the quality of the monitoring instrumentation, its location or the density of devices conditions the analysis. In this respect, our Kunak AIR Pro offers excellent reliability. But it is also true that having the right tools makes it possible to ‘digest’ this raw data and exploit its full potential, adding features such as the configuration of alerts or data validation.
Poor air quality is a problem that only becomes noticeable when pollution levels increase. But people’s health can be conditioned even by continuous exposure to polluting agents within legal limits. Numerous studies have shown, in fact, that there is no safe level of pollution.
Continuous monitoring of atmospheric variables is therefore one way to reduce the consequences of this threat. It involves relying on advances such as Kunak Cloud, software designed to get the most out of Kunak AIR Pro. Both tools make up our vertical air quality measurement solution. On the one hand, the award-winning Kunak AIR Pro. On the other, the powerful Kunak Cloud web platform. Together, the best choice for taking the right measures.
Because, as Snyder et al (2) state, ‘data of poor or unknown quality is less useful than no data since it can lead to wrong decisions‘.
You have the final say.
- (1) Arroyo, P., Herrero, J., Suárez, J., & Lozano, J. (2019). Wireless Sensor Network Combined with Cloud Computing for Air Quality Monitoring. Sensors, 19(3), 691. https://doi.org/10.3390/s19030691
- (2) Snyder E., Watkins T., Solomon P., Thoma E.,Williams R., Hagler G., Shelow D., Hindin D., Kilaru V., Preuss P. (2013). The Changing Paradigm of Air Pollution Monitoring. Environmental Science & Technology, 47(20), 11369–11377. https://doi.org/10.1021/es4022602